John Kemp’s Kitchen: John’s Vegan Carrot Cake
If you have completed all of your midterms, you deserve to “treat yo self”. And what better way to do so than by eating a decadent carrot cake? Between the late-night cramming, the mental breakdowns, and the hand cramps, you have put yourself through overwhelming stress. You survived! So have some cake.
In this issue, I’m testing the waters of veganism. Even if you’re not vegan, the health benefits of taking even a short break from animal by-products can be rewarding. Whether you’re looking to take better care of your body, save animals, or simply eat a great cake, I can guarantee you that this recipe is tried and true, and will help you forget all about those malevolent midterms.
For more recipes of meals, desserts, and snacks, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook at John Kemp’s Kitchen and on Instagram @johnkempskitchen!
John’s Vegan Carrot Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup cooking oil
4 tbsp. finely ground flaxseed
12 tbsp. water
1 recipe Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and water. Let it sit for several minutes at room temperature until a gelatinous mixture forms.
3. Grease and lightly flour two 9” x 1½” round baking pans. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add the carrots, oil, and flaxseed mixture. With an electric mixer, beat just until mixed together and pour the batter into the prepared pans.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool the two layers of the cake on wire racks for about 30 minutes covered, leaving them in the pans.
6. Remove from pans and when thoroughly cooled, place one cake layer on top of the other, frosting the middle and outside of the cake with the cream cheese icing. Store covered in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
¼ cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened at room temperature
¼ cup vegan cream cheese, softened
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a medium mixing bowl, cream the margarine and cream cheese with an electric mixer, just until combined.
2. Add the icing sugar ½ cup at a time to the mixture, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix just until combined. Keep covered and refrigerate until ready to use.